Individuals who are chronically depressed struggle with the idea that they need to fix the emotion. Emotion wells up when individuals begin to cycle and ruminate on thoughts such as I don’t know why I am here. My family would be better off without me. I am embarrassed by my depression. What’s the use and so on. If the cycle continues for more than 90 seconds these individuals are stuck in a loop. It is more difficult to disengage then most people think because emotions create neuro-chemistry in the brain. The neurons have become a very solid coalescence of particles that are reinforced with each continuing thought.
Therefore depressive thoughts create more depressive thoughts causing the cycle of pain these people would like to break. Clinical trials have shown that Mindfulness Meditation along with Cognitive Therapy is as effective as antidepressants at reducing the rate of depression recurrence.
The Good News
Mindfulness Meditation has proven to help individuals who battle with depression by teaching them how to use the mind as an instrument. It teaches the mind to stop judging and stop identifying with counterproductive thinking. As a result of learning Mindfulness Meditation the sadness tends to dissipate much more quickly than it usually does.
Staying present and watching the thoughts in a disassociated way is the key to reducing the rate of depressive thoughts.
How to use Mindfulness Meditation
- Find a comfortable place to relax for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take a few deep breaths and close your eyes down.
- Just allow yourself to watch the antics of your mind.
- Not judging, not trying to stop your thoughts, not identifying with your thoughts, just watching as if they were ripples on the surface of a lake.
- Watching the antics of the mind now in a slightly amusing fashion, noticing how your thoughts jump and down, twisting this way and that way trying to get your attention so that you become engaged in the emotion.
- Just watching as if you are someone else; as if the mind belongs to someone else.
- Continue watching without getting caught up in the drama of the mind.
- Continue to stay in the Present Moment.
- Not repeating a mantra, affirmation or statement just watching as if you are watching a movie.
- If you continue to do this every day you will begin to control your mind.
- You are the owner of your mind and you can stop the thoughts that cause discontent.
- Whenever you begin to become frustrated, sad, angry, or experience any other negative emotion, don’t judge it rather just observe the thought and let it go.
- Replace a negative thought with a phrase such as, this too shall pass or whatever phrase you like to allow the mind to change the cycle.
Developing this technique by distancing the mind from thoughts that are repetitive and energy draining will allow you to build new neuro-pathways so that you will be able to control the energy and think more clearly.
Please check out my “Creating Serenity” hypnotic audio program which will also help you in attaining contentment and overcoming debilitating thoughts.
Please note this technique is not meant to replace any medical treatment you are undergoing rather it is to be used to augment your recovery process from depression.